Please note: This new website is in the final stages of polishing and, to test its functionality, I have loaded it into our normal webspace. It is not yet complete though everything that was on the old website is here. There are gaps and there may be errors for which I apologise. If you notice anything wrong and have a moment to contact me about it, I would be very grateful. Duncan
Rita Baker introduces the Global Approach (TM)
Developed, tried and proven over the last 30 years, with teachers and learners, the phenomenal success of the Global Approach is due to the fact that it is built on sound neurological principles. The result is a unique, whole brain, pattern-based, innovative, practical, accelerated and simple way of understanding and learning English – suitable for all learning styles.
To give you an example: many teachers and learners consider English tenses to be problematic. Would you believe that it is possible to present all the tenses visually on just 2 sides of A4 paper, in about 10 minutes, and thewhole system in 3 hours? Would you believe that the tenses are systemic and regular?
The Global Approach covers and integrates every aspect of English from grammar and vocabulary development, to phrasal verbs and pronunciation – presenting them all as system.
To get a taste, watch Rita's informal introductory videos on these pages. If you then want to learn the whole approach, you can receive comprehensive, professional, full page, step-by-step presentation and guidance, with numerous teaching tips throughout and accompanying downloadable practice worksheets.
We are very grateful to Anna Kolbuszewska of Intersection in Poznan, Poland, for her invaluable help in making the initial videos.
Welcome to the Global Approach to English language teaching and learning. If you would like to discover how to increase the rate of learning up to three times as fast, this is the place to start.
A Revolutionary Breakthrough
Our unique, whole brain approach, developed and trialed over a period of thirty years, represents a revolutionary breakthrough.
This is because it works in the way that we are designed to learn.
Conventional teaching presents language in deconstructed chunks, whereas our brains are designed to synthesize global input. This is how children learn their first language.
The Global Approach starts with the big picture first before focusing on the details.
By working with PATTERNS instead of rules, it stimulates learner curiosity and encourages autonomous learning.
A simpler, quicker way to learn, with infinite possibilities
With simplicity at its core the Global Approach makes learning easy and enjoyable.
It is ‘global’ in every sense, because:
- It works with the whole brain: i.e. it engages both left-brain and right-brain learning.
- It includes visual, auditory and kinesthetic input and processing
- It works with global patterns instead of fragmented rules
- It is helpful for academic, non-academic and dyslexic learners, and is ideal for mixed-level classes
- It can be adapted for any age group
- It can be used at any level, scalable from basic grammar to complex and subtle communication
- It can be used with large classes, small groups, one-to-one and for self-study
- It can be used to support any syllabus and alongside any existing course books and grammars
- It has the flexibility to embrace other approaches, e.g. the Lexical Approach, Suggestopedia
- It covers every aspect of English, from grammar to pronunciation
- It is suitable for teaching English as a Foreign Language, and as a Second Language
- It can be used to raise language awareness in native English speakers
- You can apply the principles of the Global Approach to other areas of learning
Watch Rita's introductory videos on these pages. You can also sign up for the full and exciting range of The Global Approach material and an on-going series of webinars where you can put your questions to Rita and the team.
We value your privacy and will never disclose your contact details to anyone outside the GlobalApproach or Lydbury English Centre.